Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:34:59 +0100

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of
> the Gnus codebase (I was under the impression it had
> been untouched since 2009), Gnus has been revived
> and I want to implement changes that are newer than
> my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from
> my package manager that Gnus isn't something that I
> can, for instance, grab from Melpa. What's the best
> practice for updating a core package like this? Can
> I clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs
> to respect the clone over the built-in? Should I?

You know what they say in Barcelona: If you ever so
slightly considered taking a psychedelic drug - you
are thinking, "well, maybe" - then you should do it :)

I hope and think Gnus isn't stagnating. Gnus is part
of Emacs (it says "Version: 5.13" in gnus.el) so you
should get updates automagically with the next version
of Emacs.

What gnus.el version do you have? You can also echo
the `gnus-version' variable.

By the way, this is your second question about getting
the latest stuff in unorthodox ways. And you even use
Emacs 25.0 (I have 24.4). You are not neurotic about
this, now? :)

--
underground experts united