Re: <Multi_key> does not work anymore

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: <Multi_key> does not work anymore
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 01:33:27 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 11:36:03 AM UTC+5:30, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> >> The interesting bid is that in Emacs with root it
> >> still works.
> >
> > Did you modify the keymap for the root user as well?
> >
> > If Emacs says "<Multi_key> is undefined" then it
> > should be easy enough to solve this, just define
> > (bind) it to do whatever you want. If you want it to
> > be a key sequence probably you need to make it a
> > "prefix key" as well, as in:
> >
> > ; step 1 - name
> > (define-prefix-command    'C-o-prefix)
> >
> > ; step 2 - bind
> > (global-set-key "\C-o"    'C-o-prefix)
> >
> > ; step 3 - normal usage as you would any key
> > (global-set-key "\C-\M-j" 'scroll-left-1)
> > ; ...
>
> It has nothing to do with Emacs: it is done with xmodmap, so it is an
> X binding not an Emacs binding. This is something I defined years ago
> (globally, so for normal user and root user) and always worked. I did
> not change anything in .xnodmap or in .emacs. So this should not be
> happening, but it is.

Specific:

May be related to this issue
See thread
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gnu.emacs.help/hBA42H2chGM/2Xfa1ce2LlMJ

More generic:
Xmodmap is considered obsolete and increasingly more borked.
In 2015 you are supposed to use setxkbmap¹
$ setxkbmap -query
will tell you current state
$ setxkbmap -option compose:menu
will give you what you want

¹ I did not say its better; just not obsolete like xmodmap