Re: browse-url updates?

From: Alain Ketterlin
Subject: Re: browse-url updates?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 09:45:54 +0100

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> My question is about how I get browse-url updates.
>
> I just installed Fedora 21, which gives me Firefox 36,
> and
> GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5).
>
> When I click on links in Emacs I get a new empty Firefox window.
>
> So, I did a search and found this:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl
>
> I copied the browse-url-firefox function and evaluated it
> and that fixed the problem.

I've moved to browse-url-generic, and firefox seems to do the right
thing. This is what custom-set-variables has:

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
 '(browse-url-generic-program "firefox")

(I'm on linux too, I have no idea whether this works on other systems.)

It looks like firefox will revert to accept -remote again. But their
main difficulty is with "profiles", afaiu. If you use profiles, or have
specific firefox options, then you may also have to set
browse-url-generic-args.

-- Alain.