Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 17:24:54 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >> So: emacs FILE --eval "(goto-char (point-max))"
> > ... This requires the configuration both before and
> > after FILE.
>
> If that's a problem, I don't think the +99... hack was
> bad.

Maybe not so bad.  I am unlikely to edit an email with more than
999999 lines.  And if I do then I can deal with it on the fly.  It is
just a LARGENUMBER.

>     emacs +`perl -MPOSIX -le 'print INT_MAX'` FILE
> which uses data in /usr/include/limits.h.

That just swaps 999999 for a larger value of LARGENUMBER.  I don't
think it intrinsically changes the flavor of the issue.

Upon reflection I think the +999999 wasn't so bad.  Although I like
the exactness of the solution for (goto-char (point-max)).  Having
implemented that already using a helper script I probably won't walk
away from it.

Thanks,
Bob