Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:39:18 +1100

On 2015-03-09T16:14:20+1100, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> said:

BP> I would expect newcomers to have small init files.

Well, a number of newcomers nowadays are starting out by using prebuilt configs of some description, e.g.

https://github.com/bbatsov/prelude

or

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs

which those newcomers feel helps them getting started with Emacs. i've seen several arguments both for and against such things; personally, i think it's great that members of the Emacs community are trying to help ease some newcomers' transition to Emacs. Some people work best by starting out in a relatively familiar environment from which they can gradually move away, rather than having to learn a whole lot of new behaviours simultaneously.

BP> It is us old BP> timers that have collected up much lint in them over the years. BP> I have been using Emacs since version 18.

:-) i think i first started using Emacs around some version 20 release, though it's only in the last several years that i've been making increasingly heavy use of it. Still, yes, a lot of cruft built up until i started using org-babel to organise my config; that, together with being able to use package.el to manage the installation and update of almost all of the many extensions i use, has meant that there are increasingly fewer bits of cruft for me to manage. :-)

Alexis.