Re: Emacs hangs on X11 paste--how to diagnose?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs hangs on X11 paste--how to diagnose?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 02:41:04 +0100

jrw@google.com writes:

> I've been having a problem in Emacs (my own build
> based on 24.4.51.1) where sometimes, if I try to
> paste from an X11 program, either using C-y or a
> middle click, Emacs freezes for several seconds.
> Pressing C-g does nothing, but usually Emacs starts
> responding again after a few seconds.

Do I have selective perception, or is this yet another
problem with Emacs in the accursed GUI world?

This doesn't sound like an Emacs per se problem.
Still, for anyone to have any luck reproducing the
problem, what Emacs, and what desktop (GNOME or KDE
most likely), and what window manager (Openbox, fvwm,
...) do you use?

"What Emacs?" - try:

    readlink -e `type -p emacs`

You say C-y doesn't "paste" from X programs. Are you
sure it should? Did you or someone else successfully
integrate the X clipboard with the Emacs `kill-ring'?
What is `C-h k C-y' say? (I have `yank' - i.e., has
nothing to do with X.)

The middle mouse click may also be a feature either of
X or if you for example run Emacs in xterm, urxvt, or
the like. Yes: how do you invoke Emacs in X?

By the way, I once did an interface [1] to the X
clipboard. It uses xsel. I know there is another such
package in ELPA which uses xclip which should amount
to virtually the same. Can you get either of them to
work? Or you can just get either (xsel or xclip) with
aptitude and try for yourself, probably easier. Is it
the same problem?

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/xsel.el

--
underground experts united