RE: Help with font-lock-add-keywords

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help with font-lock-add-keywords
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 07:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

> Emacs tried to evaluate the unquoted (and undefined) symbol in the midst
> of fontifying, so there as an error and the fontifying routine crashed.
> (Just my suspicion, but seems reasonable.)

In general, errors that occur during font locking are swallowed, on
purpose.  Font lock is pretty much an invisible, background genie that
does its thing whenever it feels like it, independently of what else
you might think is going on.

It would generally be inappropriate for such an error to be raised,
so font lock just gives up at that point, instead of raising it.