Re: Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 23:15:56 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Only this should be necessary:
>
>  1) Modify fontset.el to add the script.

Is this meant to be relevant to the use of Emacs 24?  In Emacs 24, Tai
Tham is already listed in fontset.el.

The examples in 'modifying fontsets' seem to be irrelevant, and
certainly didn't help.  I may be missing something subtle, but I was
already picking up the right font, and adding it to the default fontset
does not seem to make any difference, in either Emacs 23.3.1 or Emacs
24.

The rendering is different - in Emacs 24, Tai Tham non-spacing marks are
rendered as spacing marks.

Might the character categories be relevant?  They don't seem to be set
for Tai Tham characters, though they are set for Tai Viet characters,
which are slightly younger.  I also notice that a sequence of Thai
consonants does not prompy any m17n action, but that m17n action occurs
as soon as a combining character (vowel, tone mark etc.) is entered.

Richard.