Re: how to change language of format-date-string

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: how to change language of format-date-string
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:12:21 +0100

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> I conclude this is a nontrivial problem with
> a pretty local-specific solution. It's a shame.
> It would be quite useful when composing documents in
> different languages (especially in terms of %B).

I got it to work using either of these methods:
evaluate

    (set-locale-environment "sv_SE.ISO-8859-1")
    (format-time-string "%B")

or invoke Emacs like this:

    LC_ALL="sv_SE.ISO-8859-1" emacs

But, as expected - trouble. All my rewired chars which
I setup like this

    loadkeys -q -c -s /etc/console-setup/remap.inc

then don't work anymore. (Note there is no mention of
the locale which is setup elsewhere and then no one
has to bother with that ever again.)

You see the essence of this? Put the OS into another
language, ouch, put Emacs back to English, ouch, make
it portable, ouch, get the keys back (my example), oh
ah, the pain is tremendous ... where the hell is my
prescription of codeine?

This illustrates that the best idea is to have the
computer in English, with the US keyboard layout, and
then do adjustments (e.g., a compose key) when
material in a specific language is to be produced.
What you do is the other way around, which is the
source of all problems mentioned. And I can see many
other problems: for example, what happens if you bring
up man pages?

But you got it to work. That is good.

--
underground experts united