Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:46:25 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 03:33:41AM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Those conventions make sense when you work on the same field for long
>> enough periods (students, specialized programmers...) but I guess that
>> most of us deal with heterogeneous code on a regular basis [...]
>
>> As for the higher concision, it is acceptable for cases where the
>> "read-time"/"think-time" ratio is low [...]
>
> Excuse you both my selective quoting. But you're just confirming one fear
> I had all along: in our trade (hacking) it seems we spend far too much time
> coding and far too little time thinking!

Just to be more specific: if a hacker devotes much more time to thinking
that to read and write code while he works on one of those mundane tasks
that makes the 99% of the world's programmer's job, something is wrong
with how he works. Maybe he is doing design (or even requirements
analysis) while he codes, or do not understands the problem domain, or
simply he is in a mess due to previous mistakes...

> Mathematicians, who think more and tinker less, seem to have found a sweet
> spot in a far more compact notation.

Do you know any Mathematician that is paid by the hour? ;-)