Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 13:05:33 -0600

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied.  There was really no need to uninstall Emacs from
> git to taste Emacs from Debian.  To do that, as suggested, I did:
>
>  # aptitude install emacs24

Let me suggest this additionally.  Because of ideological differences
between two of the best free(dom) software organizations the emacs
documentation is in the non-free section.  I prefer not to rehash it
again because this has been discussed many times before.  But you want
the emacs documentation too.

  # aptitude install emacs24-common-non-dfsg

That will install the docs if you have the non-free section included
in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Here is an example.  You didn't
say which version you were using so I will guess Jessie by the emacs24
version.

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free

Additionally instead of installing "emacs24" directly it is better to
install the "emacs" package.  That will always depend upon the best
version available.  Previously it was emacs23.  In Jessie it is
emacs24.  In this way emacs is automatically upgraded.  If only
emacs24 is installed then the assumption is that you don't want to
upgrade when emacs25 becomes available.

Also I recommend to install the emacs-lisp source too.  The disk space
isn't a concern these days.  The .el files are nice to have in
addition to the compiled .elc files.  And there are some other emacs
goodies too.  Here is a full recommendation.

  # aptitude install emacs emacs24-common-non-dfsg emacs24-el emacs-goodies-el

That would be a much more fair comparison of functionalities.

> .  Then, to start it,
>
>  $ emacs24
>
> ; whereas, to start Emacs from git,
>
>  $ emacs

Ah!  Yes.  That will work.  Since emacs24 exists as /usr/bin/emacs24
and doesn't exist in the emacs from git.  Very good.

Bob