Re: How to prevent Emacs from translating beginning of file path into "~

From: MBR
Subject: Re: How to prevent Emacs from translating beginning of file path into "~"?
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:37:19 -0400

On 4/10/15 8:31 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Unfortunately, some applications don't understand paths that begin with "~".
Hard to believe.  I recommend you report these cases as bugs.

         Stefan
To do that I'd have to convince some standards body (IETF?, W3C?) to modify RFC 1630 - not bloody likely. The applications I had in mind when I said this are Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari, and Opera when using the "file" scheme. With just a few easy-to-type keystrokes, I can copy the Emacs buffer's path and paste it into some browser's location bar after first typing "file:". Viola - I'm looking at my desired directory!

Describing the exact keystrokes in words makes it sound complicated, but actually typing it is pretty easy and far less error-prone than trying to accurately type the full path into the location bar by hand.

In earlier versions of Emacs, this worked fine with all browsers, regardless of what directory my Emacs buffer was in, because Emacs wasn't trying to be smart about the home directory. But some version of Emacs changed that, and it's been an annoyance ever since then.

   Mark