Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:34:51 +0000

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Thanks to all who replied.  There was really no need to uninstall Emacs from
>> git to taste Emacs from Debian.  To do that, as suggested, I did:
>>
>>  # aptitude install emacs24
>
> Let me suggest this additionally.  Because of ideological differences
> between two of the best free(dom) software organizations the emacs
> documentation is in the non-free section.  I prefer not to rehash it
> again because this has been discussed many times before.  But you want
> the emacs documentation too.
>
>   # aptitude install emacs24-common-non-dfsg
>
> That will install the docs if you have the non-free section included
> in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Here is an example.  You didn't
> say which version you were using so I will guess Jessie by the emacs24
> version.
>
>   deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free

Thanks: in my sources.list I have the non-free section:

        deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

> Additionally instead of installing "emacs24" directly it is better to
> install the "emacs" package.  That will always depend upon the best
> version available.  Previously it was emacs23.  In Jessie it is
> emacs24.  In this way emacs is automatically upgraded.  If only
> emacs24 is installed then the assumption is that you don't want to
> upgrade when emacs25 becomes available.

To do so, I should now:

 # aptitude purge emacs24
 # aptitude install emacs

?  Then, what about the above emacs24-common-non-dfsg package?  Will it be also
automatically upgraded to future Emacs versions?

> Also I recommend to install the emacs-lisp source too.  The disk space
> isn't a concern these days.  The .el files are nice to have in
> addition to the compiled .elc files.  And there are some other emacs
> goodies too.  Here is a full recommendation.
>
>   # aptitude install emacs emacs24-common-non-dfsg emacs24-el emacs-goodies-el
>
> That would be a much more fair comparison of functionalities.
>
>> .  Then, to start it,
>>
>>  $ emacs24
>>
>> ; whereas, to start Emacs from git,
>>
>>  $ emacs
>
> Ah!  Yes.  That will work.  Since emacs24 exists as /usr/bin/emacs24
> and doesn't exist in the emacs from git.  Very good.
>
> Bob

Thanks again.

Rodolfo