Melpa failure :-(

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Melpa failure :-(
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:19:57 +0200

Hi all,

and today it happened again: upgrading a package using the package
manager failed in the middle of the process, in what I would consider an
undefined state, and now I'm left without Icicles:-(.

Am I the only one to suffer from upgrade failures from time to time?
Might it be the fault of the pacakge manager, or is using Melpa (not the
stable version) just asking for trouble?  I have to say that I'm on the
verge of deciding to drop this whole package manager stuff and switching
to Git or manual install from EW: it will be a bit more work, but at
least I won't break my Emacs that easily (and I'll be able to easily
revert to the previous state).

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the package manager to wrap the whole
installation routine in a (condition-case ...) or something, and make
a (temporary) backup of the package being installed just in case?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University