Re: Adding Package Repositories in Gnu Emacs 24.4

From: gnuist006
Subject: Re: Adding Package Repositories in Gnu Emacs 24.4
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 8:21:25 AM UTC-7, Bourgoin, Mario wrote:
> How can the custom system be reliably used to add package repositories to Gnu
> Emacs 24.4 (and later)?  Since in 24.4, "package-archives" may be customized,
> that seems the way to go.
>
> Apparently, that approach
> ... only works if the custom system controls package initialisation, which
> isn't the case in many of the popular configuration bundles.
> Steve Purcell
>                 https://github.com/milkypostman/melpa/issues/2674
> Steve wrote that people add the code:
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '(...))
> (package-initialize)
> to the Emacs initialization file so they can depend on "packages" being
> installed and initialized when later in the initialization file, they have
> (require 'some-package)
> (some-package-whatever-mode t)
> My problem with this was that running "package-initialize" in my Emacs
> initialization file resulted in a recently-installed version of AUCTeX
> (11.88.4) being shadowed by an older built-in version of AUCTeX on load-path.
> (I was using Vincent Goulet's installer emacs-24.4-modified-1.exe from
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/windows
> and that problem may be due to AUCTeX initialization.)
>
> So is there one best approach to use, or am I at the mercy of the Emacs
> configuration bundle?
>
> Mario Bourgoin
> Senior Data Scientist - Hopkinton
> EMC CTD Symmetrix uCode
> (508) 249-1297 Direct

I think your spacing is a little off in this stanza with dotted-pairs

If so, just put something like this in an init file,
then add repositories as dotted pair list items as you
go along:

    (setq package-archives
          '(( "elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
            ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/";) ))

It should be

If so, just put something like this in an init file,
then add repositories as dotted pair list items as you
go along:

    (setq package-archives
          '(( "elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
            ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/";)) )