Re: Melpa failure :-(

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Melpa failure :-(
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:13:59 +1000

gnuist006@gmail.com writes:

A related question. If you are using MELPA or QUELPA and dont want the conflict with the existing packet manager database (apt etc.) what do you do and how do you script your packages to see if they are installed and if not then install and if installed then upgrade etc.

i avoid this problem entirely by simply not using the various Emacs packages provided by my distro (Debian); instead, i compile the latest stable Emacs release from source. Once the appropriate toolchain is installed (a one-time cost), the entire procedure of:

   $ tar xvf emacs-24.5.tar.xz
   $ cd emacs-24.5
   $ ./configure
   $ make
   $ make install

takes about 5 minutes on my i5-2410M / 2.3GHz laptop. i then use the GNU ELPA and MELPA archives to install and upgrade packages for Emacs, without needing to deal with the possibly outdated / less featureful / more buggy versions of packages for Emacs as provided by the distro.

Usually i very much prefer to install software from Debian repos, but Emacs is a central part of my computing - i not only use it for programming and sysadmin, but also for email (via mu4e), note- and data-keeping (via Org), chat (IM via ERC), etc. So making an exception for Emacs, and compiling and installing new stable releases as they come out, has a high benefit/cost ratio for me. :-)

Alexis.