Re: Long file names in Dired

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Long file names in Dired
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:10:20 +0200

On 2015-04-24, at 23:02, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> See above.  Due to the idiocy of the " and " approach, even if there
> were a method of declaring different languages for different fields, it
> wouldn't help here.  This is not about scripts, but about
> e.g. hyphenation patterns (which are language-dependent), or decomposing
> names into parts (which BibTeX /the program/ can't do correctly anyway,
> and the format doesn't help a lot, either).

Oh, and I found the discussion I wanted to link here (it's on the
ConTeXt mailing list, and it shows how nontrivial the "name decomposing"
thing is /even for European languages/, which many (mistakenly) consider
"simple"):

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/080687.html

Again, BibTeX (both the format and the program) just butchers
non-English names, and doesn't care.  (I'm not sure about the
BibLaTeX+Biber combo, but I'm afraid that it's similar.)  I guess it
/is/ possible to overcome this with some quoting (or "bracing";-)), but
still: the "First, von, Last, jr" model is just too simplistic.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University