vc-annotate / magit-blame considerations

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: vc-annotate / magit-blame considerations
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:20:58 +0200

For files with just a few block changes, I do like the output of
magit-blame, as it shows the editing chunks more easily.

But in reality, in mature projects contiguous changes are often only 1-2
lines long, making the interspersed annotation a major distraction. As a
result, I never actually use magit-blame.

I've been using vc-annotate with relative success, but with git commit
hashes&all, the side annotation is soo long I need the space of the
entire screen to decently read the content of the buffer as well.

I couldn't find an easy way to customize the annotation. It would make
sense to me to be able to filter the available info using a function
and/or a format. The current option of hiding all annotations is not
terribly useful, since you clearly want *some* annotation if you're
using vc-annotate in the first place.

Suggestions?