editing previous command in the *shell* buffer

From: cplum987
Subject: editing previous command in the *shell* buffer
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:06:52 -0700 (PDT)

How can I do one or both of the following:

(1) Find a previous command in the *shell* buffer via search C-s, and have
pressing enter insert the command as the current command, but without
execution. This would allow me to edit the command before executing it, but not
have to modify the command as it previously exists in the *shell* buffer.

(2) type the first part of the command, and have M-p search for the previous
occurrence of the command that starts with the same pattern I've typed in. This
is an xemacs feature I sorely miss.  C-s just isn't the same. If often finds
all sorts of other cruft you have to skip over.
thanks,

thanks,

Chris