Re: I'am root user, but 'emacs /etc/sudoers' still report Buffer is read

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: I'am root user, but 'emacs /etc/sudoers' still report Buffer is read-only: #<buffer sudoers> in modeline
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 04:31:03 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Not necessary when using the typical sudo
> configuration.

OK, this line in /etc/sudoers does it:

    Defaults env_keep += "HOME LOGNAME EDITOR"

Then one can just do 'sudo visudo' and the tildes (the
~s) in the configs can be left tildes and still refer
to HOME.

LOGNAME is preserved otherwise this line

    (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message "incal")

will break.

EDITOR is to get Emacs, of course.

I don't know if this is something that people
"typically" bother with, but now it works, and some
knowledge has been gained. Remember, "Little by
little, it's the finest meal - it's appetite for
hope..." And I agree.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573