Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5

From: Jonathan Yip
Subject: Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 13:34:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in emacs and tried to use eww following the menu but the mini
buffer says [no match].
I reckoned the problem maybe that my emacs on my OS X Yosemite is 22.1.1, so I
tried to upgrade it via Macport. The emacs on Macport is ver 24.5 but somehow I
just cannot upgrade it. After doing the usual sudo port install emacs, the
version on my machine is still 22.1.1.

I wonder if there's any way around they problem?
Thanks.