How to use a common file containing all required package details?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: How to use a common file containing all required package details?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 18:47:01 +0100

I'm trying to have one common file containing all my preamble for a
latex document up to \begin{document}, which will appear as -

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report} %% works
\input{/home/boudiccas/research/masterlatex}
\include{ob2014-title}
\begin{document}

Doing this will mean that I only have one file to keep current of
all package changes but will be able to be used for all my latex
projects.

It works and loads it, 'it' being "masterlatex.tex", but when it
reaches the end of "masterlatex" it stops at \documentclass just
before "masterlatex" being loaded and goes no further. How can I get
it to continue please, and load the rest of the project main file,
and ultimately build a pdf?

Or is there a existing package that will allow me to list all the
packages I want to use, along with the required options?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.50.1