Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 02:30:55 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I looked into this and was disappointed that it only
> showed you the questions and not any replies.

Indeed, and that is because there is only one feed,
precisely "recent questions feed" [1] on emacs.sx.

If you check out

    nntp: news.gwene.org

and make a search for "comments", you see that many
blogs have a separate feed for comments. I can't see
why the SX question solution can't be easily extended
to include answers and comments, but I don't know
the details.

The best solution would be to have only one feed that
would result in a threaded Gnus summary where SX
answers and comments (and blog comments) were
subordinated the question (just like we get it for
mail/listbots/Usenet).

Because it is such a natural thing to wish for,
I suspect we are not the first to react like this and
probably there are technical complications. It looks
simple but because it isn't done I suspect it isn't.

The step after that would be to be able to answer (and
add comments) just by replying to the OP as we are
also accustomed to.

If we can make the SX sites, blogs, and so on behave
our way I'd start participating day one. I interpret
Gwene as a step in that direction, toward the desired
and magical but realistic (or possible I should say)
all access interface-independent future of manual as
well as automatic data processing...

> It also seemed that the questions that I read were
> very short, possibly just one paragraph and with no
> code examples. A big disappointment!

Isn't it exactly the way they write them? I see quite
long posts right now which include code. But if stuff
do appear in abbreviated form that is a feed issue as
well which should (again if so) be directed to the
Emacs SX people. Gnus just shows the data.

[1] http://emacs.stackexchange.com/feeds

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573