Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 21:31:11 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I've suggested it, but it's incredibly complicated
> to make a generic solution for posting to a comment
> feed. Gwene would have to support potentially
> hundreds of comment feed formats; the formatting and
> other things would be broken.

Formatting isn't anything to be concerned with. If one
wants the supposedly "modern" features just use the
real thing. The idea of using Gnus would be to have
the familiar interface, and not trying to replicate
what we already have elsewhere (and don't like).
I.e., bypassing the interface to get what we *do* like
(sometimes), which is the contents of the blogs
(including the comments), and to be able to use it
ourselves, only in our ways.

As for the hundreds of feed formats, are there really
that many? Even so, not all need to be covered!
When there are 100 meals in a restaurant, I think the
ten most popular make up for 90% of what people buy,
and the same principle probably holds if those ten
were compared "internally" as well.

Also, it is possible that some feed format is more
popular within what typically interests the Gnus
people, than if the whole blog world is considered.

Besides, just doing it *once* (the most popular
comment feed format) would be interesting because it
would show it is possible and how nice it would be.
>From then on, the wheels are in motion. It is just
like the Linux kernel which is now ported to all
hardware no matter how goofy and obscure. No one
thought of doing that day one.

> Even just for SX sites it would be very difficult to
> make a NNTP-to-SX gateway without the active
> participation and commitment of the people who write
> and maintain those sites' software. Most sites
> nowadays make it hard to post mechanically on
> purpose since the potential for abuse is very high.

Indeed, the participation would be needed. So start
with the Emacs SX! But the sx.el people already did it
(tho I didn't got it to work myself). But because they
already did it (not NNTP perhaps but something to the
extent of what we discuss) I'd say the "all-in",
nested thread post/comments blog idea is more
interesting and beneficial to the Gnusers around the
world...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573