Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 15:19:55 +0530

On Friday 08 May 2015 09:20 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

> The question is especially apropos for Emacs, because Emacs has
> as a major goal to help you learn about it - it is touted as "the
> self-documenting editor".  The best lesson to learn: Ask Emacs.

Easy to overlook this.  Thanks for the reminder.

An ideal book will take the Trainee to a pond, rent them a fishing-rod
and show some slick moves to catch fish for the day's supper and leave
them there.

The Book will not sell fishes.  Dead fishes stink.

Drew, will you be interested in working with me (along with others) on
this book.  The book, (as I see it):

1. Will be published by FSF.

2. (To begin with it) Will stick to just the packages that come with
   Stock Emacs or GNU ELPA. (Specifically, it will not cover Icicles
   for example).

Stefan's note on devel list indicate that contributors assign the
copyright to FSF.  Will you be interested in being a contributor to
this this book?  I will try to rope in more contributors.

At this point in time, I appoint myself as a co-ordinator and editor
for this new initiative.  I am willing to re-work the incoming drafts
in to a readable book.

I may write a few chapters myself.