Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 23:29:32 +0200

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> I think this sort of thing would work for browsing
> and searching on the stack exchange network, but
> posting isn't done like that in the web GUI (though
> I haven't investigated into how it's done, it's
> probably javascript).

All services have interfaces to the outside world - if
they didn't, they couldn't be used. So it is a matter
of finding out that interface and then using it as it
is used by their already provided interface.

It not about replicating functionality externally.
That would amount to creating a parallel service.
It is not even replicating the entire interface (tho
that would be nice). The new interface doesn't need
every little detail and it doesn't have to look the
same (if that is desired, why do it and not just use
the original UI to begin with?). But what the
interface has to do is relay data consistent with what
the native interface produces.

If it cannot be done like this - and this would be
because they don't like their service to be used in
other ways than their own - that attitude would
discourage me from doing it, because it would be a cat
and mouse game who can keep up with who. Then it is
better to do something else entirely. Is what I think!

The Emacs site is not like that and sx.el shows it.
And it is natural they want people to use it with/from
Emacs. They should want this themselves! So to use it
from Gnus would/could/should be and interface to sx.el
which in turn is an interface to the Emacs SX site.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573