Re: pushing and popping the mark

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: pushing and popping the mark
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 00:34:29 +0200

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

>> So use the kill *ring*.
>>
>> When you yank, if it isn't what you like, do
>> (immediately after the yank) `M-y' for `yank-pop'.
>
> I know this is called `yank-pop`, but it is more of
> a "peek" because it keeps the kill ring intact.
>
> More generally though, this is a neat solution.
> I hadn't thought to do it this way. The only problem
> with it is that it necessitates doing everything in
> exact order and not making any mistakes along
> the way.

Try yanking and then do `M-y' *several times* - and if
you skip the insert you'd like by mistake do the Elisp
I provided (bind it to for example `C-M-y'), which can
likewise be repeated.

I'd say the second best solution is to split the
window. Or sometimes that would be the best solution -
it depends. Jumping back and forth in the same buffer
is the worst solution by far (so far).

Think of this as something physical. Someone chops
wood and then puts it in the stove. No one would cut
one piece of firewood, carry it all the way back, put
it in, then return all the way for another piece, and
so on.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573