Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 05:22:44 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Has emacs changed that much? I don't think it has.
> It is still very much the same. It is still an
> extensible editor that uses emacs lisp for the
> extension language. Some of the small details have
> changed. But the concepts and most of the day to day
> details are the same.

It is an illusion that things are changing and that
they should change. I don't see much in humankind
changing since ancient Babylonia. With technology the
exact same is observable: for example I write this
with Emacs (Lisp - 50s; Emacs, C - 70s) on Linux
(again C, UNIX - 70s). One thing beginners should stop
caring about is what things are old, new, "modern",
etc. Just as in human life, where young morons make
old morons, that doesn't matter, what matters is how
good something is and what you can do with it with
time and effort.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573