Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 19:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 10:07:58 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From:  tomas
> > Ad 1: I think an intro should blaze a wide track collecting the
> > indispensable tools to get up and running (and only hinting at
> > alternatives).
>
> I don't think this is practical, for at least 2 reasons:
>
>   . the number of indispensable tools is very large
>   . the set of such tools is highly dependent on what you want to do
>     in Emacs
>
> > Which are the "indispensable tools" is very much a matter of taste
> > and of "current fashion": it will vary over users and time.
>
> Exactly, so it is impractical to have them in an introductory text.

This underscores the difference in profile of the user who needs a
Drew tutorial and one who needs a Stefan tutorial
The first being more educational the second more adverise-ial

> > Heck, I'm an old fart and *even on vi* (which I spell vim) I don't
> > "HJKL" but use the cursor keys
>
> And yet the Vim tutorial starts with description of cursor motion.

vim and emacs are the only apps (I know and in current wide use) that
dont follow the cua- specification.

Speaking of cua, before someone unwinds the usual spiel about "If you want Word
use Word etc etc" it would be good to read the following from Doug Adams

    1) everything that's already in the world when you're born is just
    normal;

    2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn
    thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can
    make a career out of it;

    3) anything that gets invented after you're thirty is against the
    natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation
    as we know it until it's been around for about ten years when it
    gradually turns out to be alright really.