Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:09:58 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 04:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 1:01:36 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: Rusi

> > > vim and emacs are the only apps (I know and in current wide use) that
> > > dont follow the cua- specification.
> >
> > How CUA is relevant in the context of discussing cursor motion?
>
> Its 2015.
> You dont need to explain things like cursor-movement [do people read/need
> notepad or gedit tutorials?] unless its rather non-standard.

Emacs is neither notepad nor gedit, and we describe cursor motion
because the ergonomic commands for that are "rather non-standard", or
at least could be for people whose only experience is gedit or
notepad.

> Of course in 1975 it was different...

It's different today as it was different in 1985.  And we do mention
the arrow keys and PageUp/PageDown before we describe the
Emacs-specific bindings.  So I really see no reason to complain,
except if you have an agenda.