Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 01:58:12 +0200

Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com>
writes:

> 1. An Emacs Primer for Common Text Editing Tasks.
> 2. An Emacs Primer for Programmers.
> 3. An Emacs Primer for Thesis Writers.
> 4. An Emacs Primer for The Network Savvy.

Aha, it is the old "suite" idea (as in a card deck)!

Here is how I would organize that material:

(1) should be in the manual - contribute there if you
think it is insufficient. It is the foundation of
Emacs (a text editor) and by extension all
of computing.

(2) should be in the manual, save for some creative
methods and habits that perhaps aren't there - which
is rather strategies how to organize and carry through
a project - e.g., Makefiles; shortcuts to move between
the project files, fast; how to name and organize the
files and access them (with dired or otherwise); how
to use Gnus so you can get on Usenet/litbots/gmane and
ask/reply-to questions and thus improve your skills
but also solve specific problems (ditto IRC with ERC
but to a lesser degree as it isn't as powerful by
far); also, how to document it all with groff and
integrate that into the man pages of your system; and
so on. All of this should be (and is) documented
separately and with the ambition of being complete,
but yes, it would be cool to attempt to glue it all
together in one neat volume. As in, without
documenting the entirety of those systems, instead
show how parts of them all can be components (tools
and/or methods) in a particular style of programming
which we would think of as "Emacsy"...

(3) is something like

    (1)
    some of (2)
    LaTeX and BibLaTeX
    gnuplot (or equivalent(s))

so there wouldn't be a lot to write in terms of Emacs
relating specifically to thesis writing.

(4) I don't have any experience using Emacs like that
so I can't say. Is it common?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573