Re: split window

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: split window
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 06:56:20 +0100

On Tue, 26 May 2015 14:31:08 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:15:06 +0200, in message
> CAMpX9QRs5AsBcDmh7i7vN=Pc_AxmirnrZXv8_a6opFxHguR6hA@mail.gmail.com,
> Thomas Fischer wrote:

> > when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split horizontally
> > into two parts. How can I open emacs without split.

> This shouldn't be happening.  It sounds to me like there is
> something amiss in your init file.  Three questions:

It's more likely to be something wrong elsewhere.  It doesn't happen in
emacs 20.2 on Solaris but does happen in emacs 23 on Ubuntu, at least,
in emacs 23.3. It happens when I specify the first file to visit on the
command line, e.g. 'emacs a.b'.  One window is for the 'about' display
and the other is for the specified file. I associate the effect with a
change from one version of Emacs to another, though on Ubuntu the
frequency of specifying a file soared when Ubuntu downgraded from Gnome
to Unity and Emacs was no longer on the start menu.

Curiously, it doesn't happen with 'emacs -Q a.b', which instead
displays only a window for a.b.

Richard.