RE: Emacs discussed on US NPR

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs discussed on US NPR
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 13:30:12 -0700 (PDT)

> > is a discussion which begins with emacs and then progresses to
> > open source software in general.
>
> Sorry, no headphones to listen to the talk here.
> Does it talk about Free Software as well?  Stefan

You might be interested in this comment (the only one so far, it
seems), from a veteran Electrical Engineer in Santa Clara, CA:

  At the age of eighteen, my fingers learned to build emacs keyboard
  macros and I think I can use them in my sleep.  I still use GNUemacs
  (and Aquamacs) every day.

  Since, aside from venues such as the present one, I eschew use of all
  media tar babies such as the FacebookianInstaTwitterverse, you'd think
  I'd cocooned myself far from the "app" madding crowd.

  But, no.  Now when I get tired of some little set of quirks in the last
  release of GNUemacs to want to try my luck at the latest release, I must
  gird myself for a new bunch of "features", just like those suffered by
  MS Office users.  The only consolation is being able to recall my tiny
  understanding of LISP well enough to address the problem myself.  Until,
  of course, I have to use some other modified emacs on a foreign host.

  Sometimes I wish that all software types would just Stop Doing Stuff.

Alas, one person's shiny new "modernization" is another person's annoying
Clippy-the-not-so-helpful-helper.