Re: Emacs discussed on US NPR

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs discussed on US NPR
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 22:01:05 +0100

>> Yesterday (5-28-15) I was listening to a NPR - John Hockenberry -
>> "The Takeaway" session and starting about 45 minutes after the hour
>> is a discussion which begins with emacs and then  progresses to open
>> source software in general.
>
> [ Sorry, no headphones to listen to the talk here.  ]
> Does it talk about Free Software as well?

In the broadcast, not really, although he mentions open source. His big
thing is slow computing (a la slow food). He's right, actually, he's
talking about the pleasure of using things that slow evolve over time
because someone wants it, rather than because of a market-driven
release. And the idea that, well, you know it's possible to actually
talk to developers of software and even change things yourself.

It's mostly about an article he published on New Republic.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121832/pleasure-do-it-yourself-slow-computing

It's pretty good, as it happens. I mean, you can explain the pleasure of
making your own dinner, as opposed to opening a packet to lots of
people. But explaining the pleasure of making your own computer
environment is a little more esoteric.

Phil