Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 1:59:14 PM UTC+5:30, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I googled a bit, and could not find /real-world/ examples of using
> lexical binding and its advantages /in Emacs Lisp/.  I understand that
> it's a nice thing to be able to create closures, and that lexical
> binding is in general faster than dynamic binding (which is a bonus in
> itself), but could anyone show me a real /text editing/ problem that
> lexical binding solves, like something that is easier done with
> l.b. than with d.b.?  (Examples of general-purpose programming problems
> made easier with l.b. are more or less obvious/easy to find, but Emacs
> is a text editor, after all, and this is its primary area.)

I'd say you are getting this from the wrong end.
Today (2015) dynamic scoping is considered a bug
In 1960 when Lisp was invented of course people did not realize this.
This is just a belated bug-fix

[More OT]

Ive been collecting material on history of functional programming
and looking for early references on 'Lisp-as-a-functional-language'.
Note I am not asking for early references on Lisp or on FP but on
Lisp as FP.
I know of Henderson's 1980 book on FP that uses Lisp.
I'm looking for something earlier and more 'mainstream'