Re: Control-C conundrum

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Control-C conundrum
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 11:45:58 -0600

Jonathan Groll wrote:
> No matter what keyboard you use, I've always thought that the idea is
> to always use BOTH the left and right 'modifier' keys. So, what I am
> saying is that should you want to type say 'C-p' then the left hand
> presses the left control key and the right hand presses the P key. For
> 'C-c' the right hand presses the right control key and the left hand
> presses the C key. The fingers of one hand shouldn't be 'scrunched
> up', and both hands should work in concert.
>
> Of course, if you swap control with caps-lock then there isn't a
> caps-lock key on the right hand side of the keyboard, so I'm not sure
> what folks do in that situation.

Having typed for years on keyboards prior to the IBM PC keyboard with
the multiple control keys I could only use the left pinky for the
control key.  The vt100 doesn't have a control key on the right side
for example but only one on the left.  Therefore my habits were
already set by the time a right control key became available.  These
days I mostly use the right control for the Compose key.

I type relatively fast but have acquired some less than perfect habits
over the years.  C-b is the example for me.  The 'b' key is a left
pointing finger key.  However with the left pinky on the control,
especially on the older keyboards where control was left further
outside of the capslock, that was quite a stretch!  I got into the
habit of using left pinky for control and right pointing finger for
the 'b' key.  That works great.  Until you are on a split ergonomic
keyboard.  On those with C-b my right finger usually taps into a solid
plastic spot with no key!  That is my biggest worst bad habit for
typing that always shows up on a split ergo keyboard. :-/

All habits can be learned and unlearned with practice.  I am
completely bilingual with regards to switching between emacs and vi
for example.  But I never picked up the Dvorak key layout.  I never
picked up using the right control or alt/meta.  Some habits are deeper
and harder than others.

> I'm a happy Kinesis Advantage keyboard user, and that keyboard
> promotes the above described usage of both sides of the keyboard. I'm
> not sure how well the Advantage will work out with a thumb injury
> though as you do use your thumbs quite a bit with it. Kinesis sell a
> three pedal foot switch that works with their keyboards.

I have friends who use that keyboard and also seem happy with it.  Two
of them use it in Dvorak key layout mode for double the benefit.
Since I am using my trusty classic ThinkPad keyboard a lot I think it
would be a hard thing for me to learn.  And it is an expensive
keyboard.

Bob