Re: Seeking advice on writing a "line-based" major mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on writing a "line-based" major mode
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 00:23:40 +0200

> This raises two problems.
>
> 1. I want to be able to display these objects using
> some kind of a "template" (not unlike org's
> "property table", or dired's format etc.). I'd like
> this "template" to be configurable using a user
> option (with possibilities like "x characters for
> a name, then y characters for description, etc.
> for other fields").
>
> 2. When the point is one one of these lines, I want
> various keybindings to perform some actions on the
> object in question (like, again, in Dired or
> org-agenda).

Use the source, Luke!

If it is like Dired and org-agenda (?) then check out
that source.

It sounds like you can also benefit from checking out
the sources of `package-menu-mode',
`Buffer-menu-mode', and even the Gnus group and
summary modes if you are brave.

Dig in!

> Of course I could code all that myself - it doesn't
> seem to be too much work - but why reinvent
> the wheel?

Answer: because it is enjoyable, interesting, and
creative as you don't focus on understanding what
someone else did but instead on what you can do and
what you can learn how to do, thus getting exactly
what you want and nothing else - and besides, this
time a"round" you might stumble on something that will
revolutionize the entire pitch-black wheel industry!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573