Re: windows: find init

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: windows: find init
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:42:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 9:05:21 AM UTC+5:30, Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
> On Saturday 13 June 2015 08:49 AM, Rusi wrote:
> > Some students of mine have shown willingness to work with emacs
> > However the problems of setup on windows are proving beyond me.
> >
> > In particular, on windows, where is the emacs setup file/directory?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/efaq-w32.html#Location-of-init-file

[Not on windows now so from memory]
Yeah I know that page
And I tried those env-variable setting options [for a couple of hours] before
giving up

In fact the first thing I do when setting emacs on a windows box is to
try to make the (where I expect) init file have a elisp error
such as an open '(' without a close ')'
When emacs protests about the error, I know we agree on the location of the
file and can proceed
Until then keep adjusting env variables till we agree

On XP this approach used to work.
Win-7 dont know
Win-8 it doesn't