Re: How to change Perl mode indentation to two spaces and no tabs?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to change Perl mode indentation to two spaces and no tabs?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 04:55:23 +0100

> As a side note, I don't understand why one cannot get
> this by the use of a single variable value. I seems
> like a thing one would just store in a (1) variable
> and then have that configurable by the user, and
> propagated down the pipe. Why should it be there three
> times - out of which, once negated? If there is a good
> answer, this is a serious question, if there isn't,
> consider it rhetorical...

This is tricky.  There are two aspects to tabs:

* How a tab character is displayed.
This is controlled by the variable tab-width.  Usually though, the only
way you can insert a tab character is with C-q TAB or C-q C-i though.
By default Emacs binds TAB to a command.

* What pressing tab inserts.
If a mode doesn't have an indentation convention then this is defined by
tab-stops-list and tab-to-tab-stop.  If the mode does have an
indentation convention then that takes over and it's defined by a mode
specific variable.

BR,
Robert Thorpe