Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 22:33:08 +0200

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Seems neither "lexical" nor "dynamic" express the
> real thing.

I take it "lexical" refers to you can make it out by
looking at the code.

"Dynamic" refers to it depends on the code and the
program state in execution.

I agree those terms are confusing. To me, it sounds
like they refer to call-by-value vs.
call-by-reference, which isn't so.

I'd call it "normal scope" vs.
"stacked scope", perhaps.

> Nonetheless, that's the way Emacs acted all the
> time, while called "dynamically" scoped.

Well yeah, no one said it can't be done that way.
I experience it as unnatural and consider it
unpractical, but I'm not saying it cannot be done that
way. The supreme techno-pope will beat his cardinals
to the punch using anything, however typically he is
using the *best* thing (that's why he is number one)
and then the cardinals better do the same if they can
less they are at an ever worse disadvantage. No one is
telling you you can't use it or that it is inherently
bad and always so. However tho a non-conformist myself
I dare say here my intuition coincides with how most
programmers will see it - be it by genes or upbringing.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573