RE: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choic

From: Jürgen Hartmann
Subject: RE: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 00:01:00 +0200

Thank you Emanuel Berg for your answer:

> Wow! You sure get many suggestions when making
> mistakes in German!

That's because in principle you can compose any number of nouns to a valid
German word. But fortunately Hunspell limits its suggestions to a reasonable
selection.

The example I showed is an extreme case, as it was taken from a word
completion (ispell-complete-word) not from a spell check.

But it leads to the question how to enter such keystrokes.

> To (not) answer your question: I don't know.
>
> But I thought I'd share my ispell setup since it isn't
> often I run into another user. I am Swedish so I use
> the american-insane as well as the Swedish spellcheck.
> I have that `C-o e' for "spell-english" (see the file)
> and `C-o s' for ditto Swedish.

Thank you very much!

That's what I stumble over regularly too: Always the wrong
dictionary is selected.

> It has some DWIM features and calls different
> functions depending on region, mode (e.g.,
> message-mode, programming, etc.) - or that's the
> thought. But it works nine times out of then:
>
>     http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/spell.el

There are very nice ideas in your setup: I have bound ispell-message,
ispell-comments-and-strings and friends individually to some keys that I
can't remember when i need them. So I think your DWIM attempt is a very
helpful thing.

> Question: Is there anyone who succeeded or saw
> a solution that had the selection keys changed -
> I don't want to reach for the number keys, I want the
> first suggestion to be (a), then (s), (d), and (f),
> and/or likewise instantly available keys. It shouldn't
> be in alphabetic or numerical order (IMHO) it should
> be in the order of closeness which is a function of
> where they keys are on the keyboard. This is one of
> very, very few things I didn't succeed in getting the
> way I want with all of Emacs, Gnus, w3m etc. so if
> anyone has a solution I would readily let go of
> "100" of my hard-earned reputation.
> No fingers crossed!

As far as I see from the definition of ispell-command-loop, it just assigns
the characters (!) starting from digit 0 upward, skipping the characters that
are used for the fixed commands like <SPC>, i, x, X, q and the like.

I think it should instead be possible to choose them out of a list that holds
them in any desired order. But I never saw something like that realized.

Juergen