Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispel

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:19:53 +0200

On 2015-06-22, at 02:16, Jürgen Hartmann <juergen_hartmann_@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Marcin Borkowski for your cheering contribution:
>
>> Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung ;-)
>>
>> ... a certificate of inability to work ...
>
> Indeed: This word is in active and daily use (fortunately not in mine).
>
> As a standard example for the German composing scheme, the perfectly valid
> German word
>
>  Donau­Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschafts­Kapitänskajüten­Schlüsselloch
>
> although being somehow artificial became famous.
>
> It is taken from German Wikipedia
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapit%C3%A4n
> and means "keyhole of the captain's cabin of the Donau steam shipping
> society".

Am I right that under the "old" rules, there should be a double "f", not
a triple one?

> And yes, there is a rule to use a dash between groups of tree words maximum
> used in such a composition.
>
>> (... as
>> in "arbaro", "forest", from "arbo", "tree"). It can itself be turned
>> into a noun, "aro", meaning "a set" or "a multitude". It can then be
>> compounded, for instance, to get "arteorio" - "set theory". Now that is
>> fun!
>
> So one can use "arteoriaro" for a set of set theories? (Just to get the
> feeling.)

I haven't been using Esperanto actively for more than two decades now,
so I'm no authority, but my guess is: probably yes, though it might
sound a bit strange or jocular - but from grammar point of view it's
perfectly valid.  (In Esperanto, there is no such thing as "non-existent
compound word": if you need it, you make it up, and if it satisfies the
rules, it's fine.)  Most probably, though, an Esperanto-speaking
mathematician would say "aro de arteorioj".

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlATOHGj9EY
>
> ROFL! The example words are perfectly chosen: From the video one might get
> the impression that the reason why Hunspell gives you so many alternatives
> for German spellings is not diversity, but urgency.

;-)

> (Being by far OT, I fortunately managed to use the word "Hunspell".)
>
> Juergen

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski