Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:49:23 -0300

On 2015-06-17 at 13:02 ADT, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond@deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> writes:
>> The first language I "learned" was lexically scoped.  But the first
>> language I used a lot was dynamically scoped.  It seemed quite
>> reasonable and natural to me at the time.
>>
>> A few versions of emacs ago something I was using went from dynamic
>> scoping to lexical scoping.  Working around that change was not
>> trivial, casting suspicion on the universality of "easier".
>

> You should write these problems up, with your solutions.  Potentially
> useful to someone else, iff they have the same problems.

Phil,

It is quite a while ago now, and took me a while to dig up the details.
Reviewing the solution, I see that it required a patch to a file which
went from dynamic scoping to lexical scoping.  Stefan Monnier was a
huge help in getting this sorted out.

Anyone interested in the particular issue and the particular solution
can read the messages in the thread found at
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-06/msg00040.html
It is not all that long.

Cheers.
                                    Jim