Re: elint and the byte-compiler

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: elint and the byte-compiler
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 00:27:38 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

>> only then if I set the variable before that, is
>> there a danger what is loaded will in it's own init
>> process write over what I already set?
>
> Not if the loaded module uses defvar ...

Is there some fast way of finding out other than
checking the source for each module and variable?

I know of the line "You can customize this variable."
in the help which is a consequence (?) of setting it
up with `defcustom'.

Maybe I should just remove all the `require' stuff and
use `defvar' and see what happens... Or, I should
require *everything* first thing and then be done with
it! (...but I like to think that only beginner
programmers think in binary.)

It would help to know exactly when the byte-compiler
say that free variable stuff, and ditto elint
unbound variable.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573