Re: correcting word groups (general spelling question)

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: correcting word groups (general spelling question)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 22:34:05 +0200

On 07/01/2015 05:46 AM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
>> However, I consider this over-engineering. How many
>> such combinations to you have?
>>
>> Why not just add "Kitteh"?
>>
>> Are you really that worried that will appear instead
>> of the correct spelling?
>
> A better example is "fro", which only appears in "to and fro".  "Fro"
> is a common typo for "for" and "from".

I know that when I'm editing text this comes out more frequently then I
imagined, even though I never paid too much attention. I usually just
added the word and be done with it.

I an article that I was drafting the other day a had 3/4 cases of word
combined with acronyms that would have made perfect sense to check only
as a group and not individually. Also because the words make no sense
individually, and I really don't want them in the dictionary.

I would like to check for correct the capitalization of the entire
group, which also makes sense.

> Another approach is to move these words from the domain of
> spell-checking to that of grammar-checking.  It looks as though the
> LibreOffice add-on langtool allows one to add grammar rules that would
> check that Kitteh is preceded by Hello, and that 'fro' occurs in 'to
> and fro'.

I fear that adding this as grammar would indeed be overengineering. Also
because I would be too lazy to add a grammar rule and lose all the
benefits. This might be perfectly dumb (that is: select words -> add to
dictionary).

I was actually thinking of using some
utf8-nonprinting-character-as-whitespace to do the trick (sooo bad,
although it might work with libreoffice as well).