Re: [gnus] Fetch only new news from last visit

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [gnus] Fetch only new news from last visit
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:06:30 -0400

Diep Pham writes:

I'm trying to use gnus to read news from gmane.org. But it is quite confusing to use. I subscribed to a group, when I try to access the group, gnus ask me: "How many articles do you want to ...". I don't think fetch all news is good idea so I choose 100. I read all news and close gnus. When I open gnus and try to access the newsgroup again, gnus still ask me "How many articles do you want to ...". I enter 100 again and endup fetching older news than the last time I visit the group. So my question: * is there a way that can prevent fetching older than last visit?

You can catch up in that group, that is, mark all articles as read. Hit C on the group in the group buffer.
* is there a way to disable the prompt "How many ariticles ..." and just fetch all new news like a normal news reader?

(setq gnus-large-newsgroup nil)

You should be careful with that variable, if you just subscribed to a group with a lot of articles, it will take a while to get them all. If you encounter that hit C-g, and then C-u followed by number of articles that you want and then <enter>. Then you can catch up in that group.

Best,
--
Jorge.