Re: Check for redundancy

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Check for redundancy
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:04:47 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

>> In Lisp the type of a variable is stored with the
>> variable at runtime.
>
> No, never, ever, not in a billion years.
>
> In lisp, types are not associated with variables,
> but with objects!

Yeah, `integerp' is

    (integerp OBJECT)

    Return t if OBJECT is an integer.

however, I don't think Mr. Thorpe was digging into
that distinction, but rather that Lisp is
"runtime/dynamic/execution typed" (excuses if that
terminology is spoken for, if it isn't it fits) -
i.e., it is not about variable vs. object, it is about
static/code vs. dynamic/execution use of types.

And Pascal J. Bourguignon knows this as well as he
knows the technology - make the correction as you see
fit, only keep it real at the same time.

> However, assigning compilation-time types or using
> hungarian notation has at least one big problem:
> this prevent generic programming, by constraining
> the types of your data much to early in general,

Yes! That's exactly what I said with the DWIM
char/string example.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573