Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 13:58:05 -0700

On 2015-07-08 05:47 +0930, Ruben Maher wrote:

> The first argument to nnimap should be the url of the server, try:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"
>                (nnimap-address     "imap.gmail.com")
>                (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
>                (nnimap-stream      ssl)
>                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

I haven't used Gnus for a long time, but AFAICR the argument of any
server type other than nntp is ignored.

I think the OP is correct in assuming his problems are specific to
Gmail.  I also have more conjectures regarding the problems, but others
have already jumped in with better understanding than mine, so I'll keep
quiet about that for now.