Re: coding system and gdb

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: coding system and gdb
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:56:48 +0300

> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 09:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> Some students of mine are working on a hand-compiled python and debugging
> with gdb in emacs.
> Unicode characters dont seem to be flowing properly between (inferior) python
> and
> emacs; seems to work better when python is started outside emacs.
>
> Is there some process-related-coding-system that is to be set for gdb?
>
> How/When/Where?

Please provide some minimal details about the GDB commands you tried,
and their results.  GDB is generally agnostic to encoding issues, it's
all just data for it, so I'm having hard time guessing what exactly
didn't work for your students.

In general, process-coding-system-alist is the feature you are
supposed to use to set up encoding for communicating with processes,
in case the locale's defaults aren't TRT.