Re: Difficulty opening a particular file

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Difficulty opening a particular file
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:45:40 -0400

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 09:25:46AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >      (append '(("\\.bal$" . balance-mode)) auto-mode-alist))
>                          ^
> Should be               \\'

Thanks, but doing that had no effect. Opening ~/.balance.bal still
requires repeating the C-x C-f command, and trying it as a bookmark
still hangs emacs.

But what is interesting is that if I comment the stanza and restart
emacs and then open .balance.bal with the duplicate command, emacs puts
itself into the balance-mode. So the stanza appears to be superfluous.

If I comment the stanza, the problem persists. If I start emacs with no
configuration, there is no problem opening ~.balance.bal but emacs is
not put into the balance mode. I don't understand how emacs knows to
move to the balance mode when a .bal file is opened without the stanza.